This is what's on the handout for Monday's class. I thought I'd post it here for you.
If you missed class, I have your case assignment with me. email me (email@example.com) if you absolutely cannot wait until Monday (idk who you would be, but email me if you can't wait).
Oh, and ...
check the links to the right for sites to help you as you research.
See you Monday
Overview: Your research project will center around a 2-page report which will explain the outcome and significance of a Supreme Court Case. You will research the US Court Case listed below, and write a two-page paper that follows the steps listed in the task (below) This assignment is due on Wednesday, November 24, 2010. At least one other person in this class has the same case (just to help you out with the research!)
Task: your two-page paper address four tasks:
1) A summary of the story (or facts) behind the case
2) An explanation of the Constitutional Issue at the center of the case
3) A summary of the Court’s decision (including a summary of the majority opinion)
4) The Significance your case on US Law.
YOUR CASE: «Supreme_Court_Case»
The Constitutional Section of Amendment in Question: «Constitutional_Section_or_Amendment1»,
The Constitutional Issue: «Constitutional_Section_or_Amendment»
Paper Outline: Your paper MUST follow this format:
• Have a cover page
• Be at least two pages in length
• Be written in TIMES NEW ROMAN FONT, SIZE 12 ONLY(if it’s not, the “F” you get will be automatic
• Be double spaced (your welcome)
• Contain 1-inch margins from the top, bottom left and right
Guidelines As you write your paper, try to answer these broad questions
1. What is the story behind the case? How would you describe the facts? (when did it happen?)
2. Who were the people involved with this story?
3. Is there a back story to this story (did it happen during a war? Or the civil rights’ movement? What were the times like in America?)
4. How did it get to court? And then how did it get to the Supreme Court?
5. What part of the constitution was being argued? What right was being called into question (did someone feel their freedom of speech was violated?)?
6. Which justice write the ‘majority opinion’? Which write the minority opinion?
7. How would you summarize the majority opinion? What was the vote (5-4? 9-0?)
8. What significance did this case have on the United States (did it end slavery? Did it end all free speech? Did it legalize or not legalize something like abortion?)
9. Have you written a nice introduction and a conclusion?